1. "... Learn to love, get used to loving everything beautiful and develop effective compassion for everything imperfect!" [Letters of Helena Roerich in 9 Volumes - 1. 098]
2. "The greatness of the heart is measured by the measure of compassion." [Facets of Agni Yoga 1952, 558]
3. "All earthly life should be based on tolerance and compassion." [Supermundane, 553]
4. “People think of love only as constricting bonds. But compassion is boundless, a co-worker of Truth." [Agni Yoga, 210]
5. "To have compassion means to suffer with the sufferer. The feeling of suffering is an incentive to help. After all, the pain is not someone else's, but as if its own. Compassion flows from the feeling of unity. Unity and compassion are inseparable, and one follows from the other. One who feels complete oneness also has complete compassion. ...Can life stand without compassion? We see that such a life leads to death. ...Every destruction has a limit, while creation has no limit. Similarly, cruelty destroys itself, and compassion confirms the growth of the heart. And he who wants to save his soul in isolation loses it, and he who gives his soul in compassion finds an ever–increasing treasure." [Еxcerpts by Boris Abramov from the book "Aspiring Heart" 1951, 50]
6. "Truly, mercy, peacefulness, sympathy, kindness, solicitude toward people, are manifestations of various aspects of compassion. Love itself is close to compassion. Is not cooperation kin to compassion? All these good qualities have healing properties." [Supermundane, 809]
7. "…He [a leader] should keep in his heart the words of the Great Confucius: "When a person comes to me in full sincerity, I accept him for his good intentions, but I do not justify his past mistakes." How much compassion and understanding of the law of eternal movement, eternal change is in this. It is the human soul that is the most striking example of the incessant movement and struggle of energies." [Letters of Helena Roerich in 9 Volumes - 3. 087]
8. "Help and compassion consist in replacing the twilight of a darkened spirit with Light." [Facets of Agni Yoga 1968, 115]
9. "By pure love shall I preserve compassion in my bleeding heart!" [Leaves of Morya’s Garden I, 35]
10. "Pity is a puddle in which the faithful foot may slip. The one who pities descends to the level of the pitied. His force is dissolved in twilights of that which he pities – a most whining result.
Pity must not be confused with compassion. In compassion nothing is dissolved, but crystals of action grow. Compassion does not weep, but helps." [New Era Community, 134]
11. "Compassion is not pity. Compassion takes the hit. Compassion is effective. Do you have pity? Help. Pity becomes compassion then." [Facets of Agni Yoga 1952, 333]
12. "The opening of the heart, pity and compassion for people is the path of Great Service to humanity, the path of Heroism. But at the same time, we must remember that the path of compassion should be the path of wise severity and effective help, but not sentimentality and therefore often unfair evaluation." [Letters of Helena Roerich in 9 Volumes - 7. 106]
13. "Only a person who has gone beyond his personality can feel the suffering of others. Therefore, compassion is a great refiner of the heart. True compassion is effective. The feeling of compassion causes action by taking the hit on yourself." [Facets of Agni Yoga 1952, 558].
14. "There are some feelings akin to compassion, but only compassion itself is without selfishness. Pity, for example, can be somewhat patronizing, and even charity can have selfish motives, but compassion aids the suffering, taking the entire burden of pain upon itself. …Truly, compassion is the most tender and sympathetic feeling. …The Thinker asserted, “Compassion is the crown of the future.”" [Supermundane, 864]
15. "… A lack of compassion makes a person unfit for podvig, because such souls also lack courage." [Leaves of Morya’s Garden II, 250]
16. "Suffering in all cases can be considered a blessing, because it refines our feelings and teaches great compassion. Joy alone cannot give depth to feelings, therefore it is necessary to combine these two antipodes to complete the path. A petrified heart is unworthy of its name of the Sun of Suns. A petrified heart, which does not sound with all its fibers to the joy and suffering of others, cannot belong to a disciple walking the path of Light. It is during perfection that the whole range of feelings is so refined that the heart of a high student at the last stage sometimes presents itself as a wound, often he physically feels its burning pain. Only this sensitivity is not so much about oneself as about others and the Common Good..." [Letters of Helena Roerich in 9 Volumes - 4. 010]
17. "...Let the flame of your heart be alight with the fire of compassion. In compassion is buried the great pearl of Secret Knowledge. All Bodhisattvas, all Holy Ones, all Martyrs, strove along this Path. Remember the legend of the Seven Gates. Not for all is the thorny way a hardship.
There are souls to whom a crown of thorns is sweeter than a kingly one,
And a coarse garment more precious than the royal purple." [Leaves of Morya’s Garden I, 324]